Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bengali and the Blogger

If you want to write a blogpost in Bengali in the Blogger, you seem to have three options.
You may install a free software like Ekushe or any commercially available one in your computer and use its virtual keyboard to type in Bengali with the help of your mouse in MS Word and later transfer it to the blogger editor by the usual copy and paste method. It may not be that easy for those unused to a Bengali keyboard. Bengali, unlike English, joins consonants with vowels as in কি , কো    and also have many joined letters like স্থ or জ্ঞ and typing them may prove difficult.
The other option is to use the Google transliteration website and use the editor to write your post. You may have to use  the virtual keyboard at times by clicking an icon, but that is occasional and only for words that the editor does not throw up as an option. It seems O.K after some practice, but the editor does not have a 'save' option and the written piece may vanish, if by chance the touch of a key or on the pad,moves the browser to another page. It can be quite frustrating to have to write the whole thing once again when the thought process might have already changed. It has happened with me more than once. I had then to copy and paste para by para to the blogger. Irritating.
Thirdly, you may download and install Google transliteration IME (input method editor). Now you have an additional language installed and you can switch between English and Bengali at will whether you are using Notepad, Word or the Blogger directly.I was surprised though it did not have the 'dari' to mark the end of a sentence, a drawback that can be managed in the QWERTY key board itself ' এইভাবে |' .
I forgot to mention that Windows itself allows Bengali to be installed as an additional language, but I did not like the font and in any case, the problem with it is the same as the first option I mentioned.
Surprisingly, the blogger does not have an option for using Bengali directly although such option is available for some Indian languages like Hindi, Tamil and one or two others. Apart from its rich literary traditions, Bengali is one of the most widely spoken languages and according to the Wikipedia ranks sixth in the world. It is also the national language of an independent nation, Bangladesh. Google may include Bengali later as an option in the blogger but I find no justification for its not doing it so far.
I doubt if anyone in Google will be reading this post but if he does, he should take note of it.  
  

2 comments:

  1. I ended up in your blog after I searched for a solution to the "dari" problem. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution anywhere. How Google could overlook this, I have no idea!
    You can "save" your writings in a way, though. I have enabled Bangla in my Gmail, and instead of using Google Transliteration, I simply compose a message on Gmail in Bangla. It gets saved regularly in my Draft folder, so I can retrieve the piece anytime.
    But I think Avro keyboard is still the best. Can't use it on my office computer, but I've got it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blogger has the Bengali option now as I have noted in a later blog.The 'dari' problem is still there but can be overcome by the use of the keyboard.In the blogger saving is automatic.

    ReplyDelete