Monday, February 23, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire -3

I am happy that the film got so many Oscars. Not only because I liked the film ( though I had some reservations about the story which is a bit farfetched ) but also because it is an Indian theme, based in an Indian metro and its cast and some of its crew were Indian. This is not being patriotic, but I think it is the first time so much Indianness has been appreciated in the global filmscape.

I do not have any illusions. This is a British film ( though on an Indian theme ) and because of that, I think, it got so much global media attention which made the awards possible - merits aside. I hope however that this leads to a better appraisal of Indian films ( the more serious ones I mean ) in the global arena in future .
There is a flip side though. We might soon be flooded with slum based clones sending messages of ' hope and optimism ' and having mostly irrelevant song and dance routines coupled with some never ending fight sequences.
As a postscript, I must add that I am happy for Rahman who has finally got global recognition. When he burst into the world of cinema in Roza and then in Bombay some years back, even someone like me who is not an afficionado of music got struck. He is a star in this country for quite sometime, the Oscar has only put an international stamp on his status.

No comments:

Post a Comment